Social Media North Shore Writers’ Festival 10-11am Sat., April 12, 2014
“Social Media: An I-dea, YOU-dea, HE-SHE-WE-dea. Let it free ya…” Joan Boxall
I AM A CNF or Creative Non-fiction writer. I use fictional and poetic means to enliven facts thru:
- Journalling, Blogging
- You-tubing my poems
- Travel Writing from a recreational perspective (x-c ski, bicycle, ocean kayak)
- CNF encompasses the personal essay, journalism, nature writing, memoir/portrait or biography with which I consistently whittle.
When I read Clay Shirkey, social media theorist at NYU, and author of Here Comes Everybody, The Power of Organizing Without Organizations, I quote:
“Social media prompts users to engage with texts, images and videos…AND promotes a culture of sharing.”
It was poetry to my ears! AND—
“Media now creates both the conversation and the group, connecting not one to one, but many to many (whereby)consumers become producers.”
Thus: I AM A CONTENT CREATOR thru MY mix of CNF text, photograph, music and voice.
I float my leaf on the Social Media River:
1. Launched WordPress blog and website in January, 2012
- To Portfolio my travel tales
- To YouTube poems
- To tweet and connect within ‘Communities of Practice’,
an Etienne Wenger term. He is a globally recognized thought leader in social learning circles, who defines the term–
“ groups of people who share a concern or a passion for s/thing they do, learn how to do it better as they interact…”
According to Tom Standage of Writing on the Wall Social Media—the First 2000 Years: “from Cicero’s papyrus letters to Internet’s social media platforms, (we) use connections to create a distributed discussion, (and watch) History Retweet Itself.”
- Record and upload photos and music to complement poetic podcasts.
- With nearly 3000 hits to date on six Youtubes, this is how I self-publish.
- With Twitter, G+. LinkedIn and e-mail contacts, I professionally optimize readership of my creative non-fictional work.
- INPUT via website posts and pages feeds out and back (OUTCOMES) to optimize more:
LISTENING, REFLECTING, ASKING, RESPONDING, LINKING AND REPEATING…the OUR-glass keeps turning over. The website is a gold-sifting catchment that sifts, sieves and cinches.
Is an I-dea, a You-dea
A real He-She-We-dea.
Let it free ya,
Professionally sharing 1-way, 2-way, every which way.
Linking & liking in this egg-timing-
Float your leaf (be brief).
Turn it over, again and again.
Panning for gold thru your web sifter.
Social Me-dia: An I-dea, a You-dea
The real He-She-We-deal.
Let it reveal ya,
Professionally sharing and
Linking OUR small-world-egg-timing-